DIY has made its way into the classroom. Students in Home Makeover put math skills to use as they plan an addition to a home. Students learn the basics involved in financing a home, designing roofs, building trusses, purchasing Sheetrock and floor covering, and calculating the amount of roofing, interior paint, and siding needed for the home.
- Explore different types of new homes as well as the costs and financing of a new home.
- Explore different styles of roofs and determine the slope of a roof.
- Explore different truss designs and construct a model truss.
- Determine the amount of roofing to purchase for a sample roof.
- Work with CAD software to design an addition to a home and a deck.
- Determine the amount of floor covering and Sheetrock needed for a room addition.
- Determine the area of the exterior of a house.
- Calculate the number of bags of cement to purchase for deck piers.
Students complete three performance assessments: 1) Roof Trusses – explain how to find slope, explain how to determine brace locations in trusses, and construct a model truss; 2) Floor Plan Revisions – demonstrate and explain how to determine the dimensions of a room based on the floor plan; and 3) Deck Design – design a deck using CAD, evaluate the deck, and explain how a deck extends living area in a home.